Submissions for Issue 8 close at 11:59pm on Tuesday 5th July.
Overcommunicate publishes work by queer writers and artists. It is published twice a year, in February and August. You can send in submissions any time; submissions close on 5 December for the February issue and 5 July for the August issue. Issues are not themed, and a diverse range of works are published in each issue.
The best way to get a feel for what we publish is to purchase and read the latest issue. If you find the price prohibitive, you can request a free copy.
If you have any questions about submitting, please send an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or a message on Instagram (@overcommag).
GENERAL SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
- You may submit work which has been published elsewhere. Please include in your email where the piece was published.
- You may submit up to three pieces.
- If you are sending in multiple submissions, please send each as a separate file.
- Save the files with with your name (or the name you publish under) and the title of the piece as the file name, e.g. "Jane Bloggs - Untitled.docx".
- Include in the body of your email: your name (and the name you publish under, if different), pronouns, the titles of the pieces you are submitting, a bio of 30 words or less, and your social media handle if you would like it published. If you have never written a bio before, you can read our bio tips here.
- Email submissions to email@example.com with 'Submission for Issue __' in the subject line (fill in with the issue number).
- Generally, only one piece per writer/artist is published per issue.
- Regrettably, we are unable to pay for contributions. Each contributor receives two free copies of the issue.
- Accepted writing includes poetry, short stories, creative non-fiction, personal essays, etc.
- Poetry should be max. 80 lines. Most of the poetry selected is max. 40 lines, to fit on one page.
- Prose should be max. 1000 words. Most of the prose selected is max. 550 words, to fit on one page.
- Please send each written submission in a separate .docx file. If you don't have the ability to send .docx files, please send them as Google Docs, not PDFs.
- Accepted artworks include illustrations, drawings, paintings, photography, comics, etc.
- Please send visual submissions as .jpg/.jpeg, .png or .pdf, and ensure the quality is high enough that the artwork will not be pixelated when printed on an A5 page.
- Feel free to get in touch and see if what you want to submit will fit in Overcommunicate.
Issue 8 is made possible thanks to a grant from the Rainbow New Zealand Charitable Trust